Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Republic

I've started listening to Plato's Republic. While I admire Socrates, the thing that astounds me most is that they didn't kill him sooner.

I have read a brief biography and studied his teachings via other authors. Mostly in my introductory and history of philosophy studies. While the man was no doubt brilliant, he strikes me as annoying as hell.

I can only imagine the charisma necessary to gain the goodwill of the Roman upper class. Those men that Plato writes about seem to really adore good Ol' Stinky. None of them seem to really want to bash his head in when he points out that what they think is true only if it is also untrue to someone else. The nice thing so far is that he foreshadows the teachings of Christ. I like that. Christ has always struck me as a smart man, not a divine one.

I'm sure I would have hated Mr. Smellypants. On the surface his musings and dialogs smack of zen koan nonsense. I would have been one of the working class folk without time for such ridiculousness. There would be work to be done and I would counter with, "Help me carry this you feckless windbag. Your arms aren't painted on, are they?" and "It won't heal if you pick it." No doubt these statements are the antidote to puzzling mystic teachings. Socrates would probably laugh at me and my elementary wisdom. That's just fine, as long as he's downwind.

Actually I've decided that to be a proper philosopher (even if you won't identify yourself as one,) you've got to be stinky. Just like composers have to have wild hair. Its a keeping up appearances thing. No hard feelings Socrates.

No comments: