Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Economics and society

First of all, I don't know much about economics. But I have observed a few things about society. One reason I think I don't line up with most people is that I am not a big time consumer.

I don't lay awake at nights dreaming about the perfect anything. If I were inclined to, it would assuredly not be a house, car or anything like that. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be something that could be purchased. When I play make believe about how I'd spend millions of dollars, it usually involves having enough money to not need to spend it. I'd buy initially so I'd have stuff to potter around with. I'd build myself a nice plain non tech greenhouse. I'd have a good woodshop. I'd get some composting stuff and equipment to make rock fences and walls.

Even today, with the little money I have all I want is to live simply. I don't dream about nice new cars or the latest silly handbag. I want to spend money learning good stuff, not collecting it.

Sure, in my wildest dreams, I spend all the money in the world. I travel. I get bodywork. I set up imaginary charities and spread the love.

I think the worst part about not wanting to keep up with the Joneses is that eventually all we have to talk about is tv. I guess that's not so bad. Thank goodness for the Simpsons.

No comments: