Sunday, June 08, 2008

To wed or not to wed

The answer is wed.

We worked out our divorce the other night. Not bad for just under a week of confirmed engagement. The good news about having an exit strategy, is that you have an exit strategy. It is like knowing where the fire exits are on a plane. You are relatively confident that you won't be using them. But it would be disasterous if you need them and can't find them. Plus it just underscores what I love about being with Mike, we talk about things that make us uncomfortable just to make sure that we can rely on each other if things get bad.

Of course his response to my concern of wanting a divorce is indicative of his charm or my gullibility. I think that almost 6 years of either is good indication that it will continue. Hopefully devoid of disasterous consequences.

Me: We need something like a prenup. I mean, what if we reach the point that we need to not be together anymore.

Him: Well, I may have some money

Me: I don't mean a money prenup. I mean some type of emotional marker, so that we know if we are unhappy enough to split up.

Him: I don't care if I'm unhappy. So I suppose we should divorce if you want a divorce.

As a matter of fact, I think if you think you want a divorce we should get one early. Be aggressive about it because the sooner we do it, the sooner we can start dating again.

:)

He loves me. And he wants to always have me in his life. I love the pants right off him and even though I'm a skeptic and more than a little afraid, I'm excited and happy to marry him. After all, if it doesn't work out, we can just live together.

No comments: