Friday, May 18, 2007

Being left for a lesbian

I can tell its allergy season. The outright weirdness of my dreams has increased.

Last night I dreamt that I was living in what amounted to a mansion or a castle. I lived in the pavillion in the center of the estates. It had a garden and a moat. It was filled with light and breezes and exotic fabric billowing curtains.
I lived there with my boyfriend and my youngest daughter. Liam headed out with Dave to do something and phoned in much of his role in the dream. K decided she really wanted a cat. There was a nice old lady who took in rescue animals across the valley. She had the perfect kitten, except it was ugly. I gave permission to K. We brought the animal home. Perfect kitten was awesome. We put her in the basement until we had safety proofed the home and estates.
I got busy with my gardening. Because we lived in an estate/castle there were other people in our close community. I seemed to be the overseer or at least a central point of connection between them. I was very busy but not seeming to do very much. Liam phoned home. I told him about the cat. He told me fine, and since he had been out and talking with Dave he had become dissatisfied. Because of my thoughtlessness he now needed something technical called a "tacky." I was stunned. He was breaking up with me. He immediately appeared before my eyes. Yes, he was breaking up with me. The not so hot lesbian living with her partner to the North wanted him. She was very tall and blonde and not attractive at all. She looked like a drugged out version of Diane with a short shag and no boobs. He walked out on me with her. I stood there amazed at how even in my life I play a supporting role.
But then I got on with the business of day to day life. Just to try me, I suppose, he started calling me all the time. We talked as friends will. I was mad and not just a little hurt, but I was determined to give myself time to adjust to the curves life was throwing me. I loved him very much so I tried to be there for him even though I recognized that he didn't want me as a partner. What? I was wrong? He did? He left hastily and hadn't thought out how much he'd miss me? Well lets give it another try then. Move back. There's plenty of room, we can see a much or as little of each other as we like. I'm sorry about having to get the "tacky." It was not really a big deal? He needed one anyway? It was just an excuse? Ok then. Another woman you say? (Sigh.) I guess you'll have to bring her. Lots of room and all. It was settled.
Imagine my suprise when this woman was Angelina Jolie.
They seemed happy together. I kept busy to the point of exhaustion. I baked and ran and played on the beach. I hung out with my kid and played video games. Ang liked ordering me about and acting very cold and accusing. It was as if she expected me to jump into some type of backstabbing competition. Had the circumstances been different, I might of, but come on, Angelina Jolie? My man gets the best part of Brangelina and I try to ruin it for him? No way. Liam and I weren't together at all. I kept to my space only intruding on them as duty and Angelina's requests dictated. I felt that she was setting up situations that would make me fail, feel small, blow my top and lash out. I don't know how she did it, but she ruined an entire batch of pies I baked. She never called me out or gloated over my failures, but she remained steadfast in watching me and making Liam aware of my faults.
For some reason the pies were different. I think I handled the smoking oven and baked on cherry goo well. She said something to me in passing, something demeaning and classist. We got into an argument. She accused me of having an affair or something with Liam. He just wasn't truly connecting with her. I told her she was crazy. She was/is Angelina Jolie or crying out loud. I'm just a round bodied nobody. I'm good but I'm not lusted after by most of the country. I'm not rich, I'm not thin, I'm not the kind of girl who does big and important things. I clean house and bake pies. Furthermore, I do not wreck other people's relationships. I try real hard not to wreck my own. I want Liam to be happy. I don't dislike her, but I've tried and I don't know her.
Liam walked in and the two of them left. She directed him out.
I stood there in a smoking kitchen and cried. Not hard and not a lot, but enough to mark the time and the irony of Ang humiliating me.
Later that night I was doing laundry. I was feeling very alone and looked for the kitten. I found her. The phone rang as we were crawling into bed. It was Liam. He apologized for the fuss. He told me that he really saw the way things were. I thanked him and turned out the light. I changed my mind and called him right back. I got his machine at the hotel for some reason. I told him I think I understood but that he really should probably give up being friends with me. It made his new woman feel threatened.
It was weird to leave that message.

No comments: